Outdoor pen help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ingersolls, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ingersolls

Ingersolls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I am new to ducks, since getting an injured runner. She is on strict rest for the next 2 weeks before a re check with the Dr. then if all is well she will be able to go out to a pen.
    Im wondering what size would be good for a runner. I was thinking about a 10X10 pen.

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Is that your only duck? If so, I would say that would be fine for a pen size.

3. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    Yeah she is my only duck. Im thinking about getting her a mate or friend but thats it. How many would a 10X10 hold? Is there a general rule of thumb for ducks like so many feet per duck?

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    10x10 would be okay for two, especially if you can let them out to free range for a while daily. It will be a little tight with a swimming pool and shelter though if they are to be in it all day and night. And it will be messy very quickly. JMO

5. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    ok thanks! I was wondering about free run during the day. Seeing that she is an adult rescue and Im "the bad guy" because I have been having to give her meds everyday. Whould she come back to me? How would I go about getting her used to free run?

6. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I think she would be very happy with another duck since they are more social creatures. They say that you should have about 4 sq/ft per duck in a shelter with at least an additional 20 sq/ft per duck if they are confined in a pen - depends on who you talk to though. More space equals a less messy yard and happier ducks. I hope that helps.

7. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    It does thank you!
    What about training her to like me and come back to me so I can give her free run during the day?

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Peas. Build trust with treats.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    While she is confined, give her lots of treats. Then you are the treat machine. Spend as much time just sitting and hanging out with her so she can see you aren't really a threat.

10. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    I will start doing that. Right now when I go near her she just quacks her head off and usually wont stop until I leave. She also wags her tail, not siure if that means anything or not?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by