Outdoor Quail Housing Question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by protodon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I am in the process of building a big quail pen so I can house and breed my new coturnix outdoors. I'm about ready to kick them out of the house since I don't have proper indoor caging for them and they are really growing fast! Anyway, my quail pen is divided into 4 sections. My original plan was to have an "open" part in each section with only chicken wire then a 4 walled part in the back where the quail could take shelter from the weather. A roof covers the whole pen but due to my poor planning and lack of carpentry skills(this is the first "thing" I've ever built) I have no idea how to make that fourth wall the way I wanted to. So I am wondering do I even need a completely enclosed area? Or will a 3 sided shelter do? I've included a couple pictures. My main concern is freezing cold winter weather and if they will be okay with a big wide opening in front of them. Also I have a space between the back of the pen and the roof, once again due to poor planning. So that would have to factor in as well. Would that be a big deal in making them cold and prone to illness or death?

[​IMG]/img]

[​IMG]/img]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    In you state I would have an all soild top,back,and sides. only wire front that you can cover in the winter. All my Quail pens are build that way, and they do fine in our Ohio winters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by