Outdoor RH 96%, Indoor 60%...how would I lower RH in incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Intheswamp, May 4, 2009.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well, the title pretty much sums it up...

It's storming this morning in Dixie. Rain is predicted every day except for one over the next seven days. Relative humidity is being reported at 96% from www.noaa.org . RH on my hygros in the house are reading ~60%.

Currently I don't have my incubator operating [​IMG] , but if I wanted to set eggs in it today and run the RH level at ~40% how would I lower the RH inside of it? Removing the vent plugs would draw in 60% RH air.

Will the heat from the heating element remove some humidity from it? Would I have to invest in a dehumidifier? Place an electric heater close to it? Send it to Palm Springs for a vacation?

I've searched the forum and find plenty of info on *raising* the RH, but I'm having trouble finding info on *lowering* it other than removing the vent plugs...which isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!!!!!
    Ed

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

On another list I am on, someone mentioned charcoal to absorb the moisture. Someone else mentioned bentonite clay, perhaps you can put a small dish of it inside the bator? [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can put a dry piece of cardboard or paper towel in the incubator to 'suck up' the extra moisture. Just be sure that it doesn't get wet from the water wells, or your humidity will skyrocket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by