Outdoor roost/perch ideas

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I'm looking for ideas for a roost or perch for my hens for their run.

My run is 20' by 14' and predator protected. It's also 7' tall so I can walk in there. Inside is their house with nest boxes, food, water, a few small logs, an upside down wheelbarrow and a compost bin that is 3' by 3' and 3' tall with a lid.

They LOVE to stand on top of the compost bin. They preen up there and sing their egg song. We refer to it as their stage where they perform.

I'd love to give them something else to perch on out there. But what? (Not that I mind them using the compost bin but it is in the sun all day and something in the shade would be nice.)
I thought the logs would be a hit but I think they like the compost bin because of its height.

I suppose I could take a 2 by 4, laying the wide way and somehow mount that in the ground to give them an alternative for a perch. But I'm guessing that I need to get it a few feet off the ground to make it interesting.

This group is GREAT for ideas so I'm reaching out to you to see what you've done. And if possible, could you show a photo?

See my page for more photos, but here's the run. I attached perches to the central post (which holds up the wire top on the pen), made another using concrete blocks and a 2x4, and another by placing a 1x3 through the pen walls. They also have a big block of tree to sit on. I need to get some more of those!

19926_perches.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, these are both GREAT ideas. Thanks so much. I really like the 2x4 thru the cinder blocks. I could move it around based on the seasons to put it in the sun in the winter and the shade in the summer. Love it!

If you have an old wooden ladder, they seem to like those - add you can add extra perches at various levels using the ladder frame as a base. I don't have any pictures but I have seen some great ones on here - folks have even painted and spruced up old ladders and made them look nice.

Last edited:
I use pallets in my run, besides serving as perches, they also provide shade when slanted at an angle. I also angle extra pallets along my fence line in my backyard for shade and also for cover whenever my rooster sounds the alarm for hawks.

Back
Top Bottom