Outdoor roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by backwoods, Sep 8, 2008.

1. backwoods

backwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    Thinking of building an outdoor roost for guineas and some game hens. Thought about a raised roost with metal poles do keep climbers out. I have had a couple in a tree that are doing fine but I know they are not safe by anymeans.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    What about owls? Also raccoons have an amazing ability of getting to stuff they want to eat.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think the raised roost and metal poles will work fine but as an added safety measure I would use some inverted metal cones so predators cannot climb up or some flashing wraped around the pole, the slick surface will be impossible to grip.

4. backwoods

backwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    Was thinking of aluminized exhaust pipe with a covered roost. Guess I could add some extra anti climb if I need too.

5. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    We had racoons reaking havoc on our birdfeeders this year. To solve our coon problem with the bird feeders we slid a downspout over the bird feeder pole. They haven't gotten past that yet and its been about 5 months now. I think they gave up. Would have loved to seen that on video when they first tried to climb it and couldn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by