outdoor roosts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabigbird, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My 6 1/2 wk. olds are in a mini pen and mini coop (dog house). Their mini coop is about 8x16 so lots of room to play in. I want them to get used to going up on roosts in the big house so I have put up three roosts outside in their yard varying from 2 feet up to 4 feet high. They have a riot flying up onto them and jostling each other.

They do have roosts in their dog house which they don't sleep on. They still huddle in the bedding. Are they getting the wrong message? I see them napping up on the roosts outside in the daytime. I'm hoping they're just huddling at night because it still gets cold at night here. About 11-13 Celcius (whatever that is in Fahrenheit)

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:So is the Coop 8' x 16'? Because if that is the size of the Coop I would not call it a mini coop. I'd say that is a large coop.
    Usually the fenced area outside is refered to as a "run" and the structure they nest in and sleep in is the "Coop".
    That being said; If the "Coop" is real small they might not be able to get up on the roosts. You might want to make a ladder that they can walk up on to reach the roosts if they can't fly up.
    They might be too young to want to roost yet.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Nah they'll learn [​IMG] sooner or later. Just give them some time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    In addition to time, try providing different diameter perches.

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:So is the Coop 8' x 16'? Because if that is the size of the Coop I would not call it a mini coop. I'd say that is a large coop.
    Usually the fenced area outside is refered to as a "run" and the structure they nest in and sleep in is the "Coop".
    That being said; If the "Coop" is real small they might not be able to get up on the roosts. You might want to make a ladder that they can walk up on to reach the roosts if they can't fly up.
    They might be too young to want to roost yet.

OOps. Yes I did mean run. Their dog house coop has roosts that are only about a foot off the ground while the highest one outside is about 4 feet high and they can fly up to that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by