Outdoor run design - thoughts on weasel proofing?

dpnation

Chirping
Aug 24, 2021
I'm looking to create a predator-proof outdoor run, something similar to this:

1452647929222.jpeg

In a couple of the examples I've seen online, they used chicken wire to surround the sides, and added a layer of 1/2 inch hardware cloth along the lower 3' of the run as extra security.

My question here is if just the lower 3' is enough? We had a weasel last year, so I'm designing with this in mind - would a weasel just climb up the hardware cloth and enter in through the chicken wire? I am assuming that this is due to cost - hardware cloth is more expensive than regular chicken wire, and I'm hoping to make a somewhat large run, so cost is a consideration. I'll bite the bullet if weasels will simply scale the bottom portion to the top - just unsure of their abilities.

I secure all my poultry in their coops at night, but weasels come at any time of day so my goal for this outdoor run is to ensure that it's safe for them to be out during the day without supervision. Located in Vermont, USA.

Thanks for your input!

I'm in VT, too. I am pretty sure an ermine can squeeze through 3". Their heads look 2" if you ask me 😅. I once watched one dive in and out of the snow making tunnels faster than I could ever run, so I am sure they can just climb up. I would just bite it and do 1/2 if you need that run to be as close to 100% for you.

Have you ever had one attack during the day? We had a mink running around during the day, but it seemed to not be able to figure it out.

I'm in VT, too. I am pretty sure an ermine can squeeze through 3". Their heads look 2" if you ask me 😅. I once watched one dive in and out of the snow making tunnels faster than I could ever run, so I am sure they can just climb up. I would just bite it and do 1/2 if you need that run to be as close to 100% for you.

Have you ever had one attack during the day? We had a mink running around during the day, but it seemed to not be able to figure it out.
My encounter last winter was with an ermine in the middle of the day. I have a basic metal run w/ chicken wire for my guinea fowl that isn't predator proof, mostly for containment in the winter cause they don't do well in snow but I like for them to get outside during the day. Happened to be shoveling a path down to the coop and an ermine was attacking in the run - total dumb luck that I was there to intervene. That little bugger was NOT afraid of me! I pulled it off a guinea with my bare hands and it still tried to attack a couple more times before I chased it out of the run. I wish I had the wherewithal to have stomped on it but the whole experience was totally surreal! And they are super smart and therefore difficult to trap.
I've read that you need to cover anything the size of a quarter to weasel-proof, so that's my plan. I don't want the guineas to be trapped in the run with a weasel/ermine!

LOL I guess they are pretty good climbers!!!
This is a beautiful run. Did you have plans or just DIY? This is very much what I had in mind for building.
And yes on the predator apron!
I just designed it to fit the coop I made from an old shed on my property. You can click on the My Coop link at the bottom of my avatar to read the article I wrote that details the build of both the coop and the run.

I just designed it to fit the coop I made from an old shed on my property. You can click on the My Coop link at the bottom of my avatar to read the article I wrote that details the build of both the coop and the run.
Wow, you did a great job on that shed conversion and also the documentation of it is very thorough! Thank you for creating that - it was an excellent read.

Back
Top Bottom