1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Outdoor run floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by threecutechicks, May 20, 2011.

1. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    I have an old dog run that I will be using for my new chicks. It has a brick pattern concrete floor. I plan on using sand on it. Will itbe ok or should I rip it up and just have the dirt covered with the sand?[​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    bricks under sand is probably better as it will keep diggers out. Plus it's easier. [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Yes, I would leave it. If it is all brick, you might want to make an area that they can take dust baths and dig in.

4. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Thanks!!! I can take the sections out so maybe I will just take out a 2x2 area for them. I should be able to make a box to keep the sand out of the dirt area for them. Now I just have to make the coop for them. We are still pretty cool up here and the girls are only 5 weeks old so I still have a few more weeks to get that built or just buy a small one at the Country store nearby.[​IMG]

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I agree it will be easier to clean and you can put a sand box in there for them to dust in.

Wish my runs had concrete floors. They'd stay drier.

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by