outdoor run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmason, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jmason

jmason Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    This spring we have to build a new outdoor run for 17 hens. I'm trying get an idea of what would work best....the last run we had, had a wood floor which rotted with all the rain we got. If we put the run with the ground as the floor, are predators more likely to get in. How many of you have put down a cement floor?? Thanks for your input

2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Never had a concrete run, only dirt. I have had predators dig under in the past.

The current run is covered with 1/2" hardware cloth buried about 18" into the ground, actually into the layer of stone that lies a few inches below the surface. Admittedly, I went overboard in protecting my 7 hens, though I expect the value of the eggs will pay for their run about 2011.

Wayne

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    My run had a concret floor, well it was completely covered in concrete blocks. I took out most of the middle ones and now there is a 1 foot baricade around the inside. Now no animals can get in.

4. chicksalot

chicksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    WI
    Quote:[​IMG] At least you have light at the end of the tunnel... [​IMG] 2011... some of us here get in even deeper![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by