Outdoor shed into chicken coop?

callen0912

Chirping
Jan 31, 2015
While researching more options for coops, I read somewhere (could've been here, but don't remember... I've done A LOT of reading lol) that some people opt to turn outdoor sheds into chicken coops, some even buy new sheds to make into coops. How many of you here have done this? Any pointers on how to do it? I'm beginning to REALLY like this idea, and think it will give me the most space or my money I feel like. Considering maybe this particular shed. I feel like this would give me more than enough space to begin with as well as room to grow into when I add more hens down the road.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274588-25-L...or+storage+sheds&page=1&facetInfo=$200 - $400

I have that exact same shed.
I don't recommend one.There is no way to mount thing unless you build an internal framing,windows are not easy to install.
I paid $300 for the shed and over $250 in extras and it still needs improvement

It is much easier to do with a wooden structure. I have done this and the shed was wooden.
Then chicken math hit and I needed a larger structure so I tore it down and built a new one.
Good to see you are thinking ahead on adding hens. Chicken math can be a bugger.

I looked for some pics of the shed conversion but I think they were on my old computer when it died.

Best wishes for your adventure.

Babs

I thought about converting a shed but I think I'm going with the ez frame kit and modifying it as needed. I couldn't figure out how to convert the shed since the frame is metal and not wood.

Hmmm... Maybe not such a great idea after all lol. We don't have an old shed to turn into a coop, so if I went this route buying a new one would have to be the route we take.

There is always building from scratch too. Pun intended lol.

I built this 8x14 for about 1200 dollars.

I used reclaimed metal roofing and searched craigs list for lumber options.
The walls are 2x4 on 24" centers
The roof trusses are 2x6 on 24"centers
I built my windows out of salvaged smoked lexan and 1x3 boards using a lot of screws to secure the lexan.

There is always building from scratch too. Pun intended lol.

I built this 8x14 for about 1200 dollars.

I used reclaimed metal roofing and searched craigs list for lumber options.
The walls are 2x4 on 24" centers
The roof trusses are 2x6 on 24"centers
I built my windows out of salvaged smoked lexan and 1x3 boards using a lot of screws to secure the lexan.

I wish I had that kind of budget lol. I would love to build one, but we have zero woodworking skills :/

Back
Top Bottom