Outdoor space per bird for a stationary coop and pen?

Oceanseve

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Guthrie, OK
I can't seem to find this spelled out anywhere. We currently have a run that is about 40 sq ft but we WAYYYY over ordered so we are looking at building something new, I know 4ft sq per bird inside the coop, but how much realistically for the run, I know that bigger is bettter in this case, but talk to me about minimum just to make sure I have enough space....

10 foot per chicken for large breeds. Maybe less for bantams is what I read. I am in the process and building a much larger covered run. Mine will be 11 by 45 feet. Thats 495 sq. feet. I will only keep 15 or 16 hens. More space is always better. If I had the money I would make a 11 x 100. That would be really nice. Maybe next year I can add on again. How big is your coop? Mine will not reasonable hold more than 16. Jean

We are going to have to build a new coop too, the one we have now is good for 2-3 (converted doghouse) We are still trying to make a plan, assuming most live
fl.gif

wow ! That gives you a really good chance to build right. I learned so much after i started here last winter. Always build the coop above the tilt of a hill the run downward. Build the nest boxes sticking out on one side easy to access from outside. Then cover the area with a roof. That will keep you out of the rain. Have a vented roof or the vent just under the eaves that can be opened or closed. Chickens love light to lay. Build as much light from the morning side as possible. make it easy to clean. Build one long roost so they do not fight over the highest one. Use an easy to dump long container or poop board that is easy to clean. I use long plastic containers like go under a bed. Most of the poo goes in them under the roost. Then its easy to dump. if possible build in electricity. I have used a heat light for weeks when the temps were below 20 degrees. If you get a water bowl get a heated dog one and put it on blocks to prevent filling with junk at night. You will need room for feed and water. Also room to scratch around some. What kind of chicks are you getting. I just got 6 new ones. 2 blue, 3 BRs and 1 beautiful little one mixed. Jean

Back
Top Bottom