1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Outdoors in AZ

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffster011, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Hi Everyone
    I am new to raising chicks. I live in Phoenix AZ. Day time temps are in the high 80s low 90s and the overnight lows are 60's to high 50s. I have a new coop ready for my little ones. I am planning on bringing home some new baby chicks tomorrow. My question is can I keep my babies outside in the coop as long as I create a draft free corner with a heating lamp or a mama heating pad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    In my opinion, the easiest thing would be to set up a brooder box inside coop and maintain the required warmth the baby chicks need. During the day when temps are high, let them them run around loose. In the eve, gather them back into brooder box. In a couple of weeks they will feather out and you will see that their needs for supplemental heat is reduced. Read up on the guideline temp requirements on brooding threads.
    WISHING YOU BEST.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Thanks! I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by