Outer layers of last third of upper beak 'worn off' UPDATE -improving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Godiva, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't know if this is a problem or not? My Buff Orpington hen has the lower third of her upper beak minus a few layers of outer 'horn'. I looked at all her buddies and theirs are all fine. Will this grow back? Can it be a problem? Why has this happened? Do you think she has just been too busy scratching the ground with her beak and has worn it down? I threw extra hay in there today as there were some bare patches where they have been scratching and making dust holes. What do you think folks, am I being paranoid or is this something that should be addressed.... ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she's happy don't worry. Sometimes that happens, it sounds like she broke the tip off eating or something. Its like your nail and it will come back.

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you Silkie chicken. I will just watch and see. You probably are right, must have broken off when she got too enthusiastic about some morsel. Always something with the chooks!

4. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok, I am back. I have been watching Queenie's beak and it seems to be getting worse. The outer layes are starting to peel back and the tip looks pretty raw. She is looking overall rather beat up, overbred, so we are going to separate the roo from them and only allow visits a couple times a week. However, I am concerned about her beak. How do I post pictures here so you can see what I am talking about?

5. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
  6. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    ok here is my first attempt to put a pic on here.

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Here is another one, you can barely see the tip in the pics because the color is the same as the background.... however from close up it looks really raw and the top layers are peeling back and lifting... It looks like it is getting worse rather than better. Do you think there is something I could supplement her diet with that might help? She is an excellent layer - has only missed a few days since she started laying in the fall. And she is a sweetheart of a hen - loves some TLC and treats.

8. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What she has done is just like beak trimming, where the tip of the top beak is removed at the hatchery to prevent hens picking each other. She will be unable to defend herself so that is why she might be getting picked on. I got 2 layers already done like that and they had problems being in the main flock with hens that were not done.

If you think it has a rough edge and is getting worse I would say gt some dog nail trimmers and take the rough edge off very gently if you think that is possible, so that she quits chipping it back further. Might try a nail file if that seems more the right tool. Other than that I can only think that the nail repair stuff for chipped and cracked nails might help but she woud have to be totally co-operative. For sure you don't want to get any on her tounge or glue her beak shut so if you think you woud get any fuss don't go there.

When they do these trims intentionally it's done with a really hot wire so the edge is burned. They don't chip or peel so it never gets deeper.

9. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    What you cant see in the photo is that the tip is actually still there, just very raw and the upper layers are starting to peel back. Adopted by a chicken, I love your idea of the nail repair stuff and have bought some to try. Just need an evening when the DH and I can catch her to do some first aid, beauty parlour treatment.... [​IMG] I am relieved that it isn't some big deal. Will also be including kelp meal in the diet to see if that helps with rebuilding those layers. She is definitely being picked on more than usual though so will keep an eye on her.

10. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    An update on this, I started adding kelp meal to her food again and never did get around to putting the nail stuff on her beak. All of a sudden it is healing up beautifully, not there yet but definitely improving instead of deteriorating. Just thought you all would be interested. That kelp meal is excellent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by