Outgrowing the Brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GentlyLiving, Apr 3, 2012.

1. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    I have 2 BRs and 4 EEs that are three weeks old and growing like crazy. I have already expanded their brooder to give them more room, but the seem like they need more room to run around. The coop is all ready to go but there is no electric and I can't get a cord out there. Temps here are getting warmer it is high 60s low 70s in the day, but still getting down in the high 30s at night. When can these girls get out into the big girl coop? Will they be ok to be out there in the day and come in at night? How old do they need to be to be out there full time?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    With temperatures like the ones you're getting, I'd say wait. Ours went out into the coop at over one month old, but it's much warmer here. Wait a little longer at least, it can be pretty cold at night outside without a light. If they need more room, how about taking them outside to free range when you've got a bit of free time during the day? They love being out in the garden where they can forage. :p Gets them used to being outside too, ready for going out to the coop.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by