1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Outrun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rosiechickenmamma, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Rosiechickenmamma

Rosiechickenmamma Hatching

Aug 18, 2018
    I have a coop with a run underneath my actual coop. I have put wire on the inside with grass poking thru and additional on the outside to prevent “critters” from digging in. Do I need to add some straw to this run or will the chicks be okay walking on the wire/grass?My chicks are 1month old and almost ready to move outside.

2. If there's grass, they should be okay. If it's just wire some straw should be provided. Good luck!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens love to scratch, almost from the time they hatch. Chickens on an elevated wire floor tend to do OK but wire on a dirt surface could encourage them to scratch. That will possibly cause a cut and eventually bumblefoot. I don't think covering with straw will help but rather encourage more scratching.
    I'd come up with another means of keeping diggers out.
    Bumblefoot can be a very difficult problem to cure.

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I have wire around the sides of my run. Aprox 6” on the inside and again on the outside. The “middle” is dirt. A critter will dig at the edges or along the fence line. I would rather prevent injuries than treat them. They could injure their beaks as well as their feet. Good luck!

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  5. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Wire on the floor inside the run is no good, predators just burrow along under it until they pop up. You only need the wire along the outside, but not just on the ground. Dig up a layer of dirt two or three inches deep, lay wire along the sides of the run extending outwards at least two feet, then bury it again.
    Predators will start burrowing at the wall of the run, meet the wire underground, and not be able to figure out how to get around it. If you have that, wire inside the run doesn't help any. Should a predator manage to get under your wire skirting on the outside, extra on the inside will only make it go forward a bit more before popping up.

6. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018
    Ireland
    How big is your coop and run and how many chicks do You have ?
    Are you planning on keeping them in this coop ?

The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better. Skimping on space requirements for a flock of chickens can cause stress, cannibalism, pecking, and sometimes even death.

Also Wire should be placed around the perimeter of the coop to prevent them from Being able to dig in around the sides.

If you kept the wire on the inside of the run your chickens will scratch their feet away.

7. Rosiechickenmamma

Aug 18, 2018
    There is grass.

8. Rosiechickenmamma

Aug 18, 2018
    Thank you. It just be an easy to remedy. We put it outside and inside. Just need to snip it away from the inside part. I only have 4 chicks.

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Minimum space requirements: 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per chicken.

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    At 4 weeks of age, unless you live in a VERY COLD climate, your chicks should be completely weaned off heat and living outside now.

ChickenCanoe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: