outside access to nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Steve P, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Steve P

Steve P Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI
    I would like to hear from people who's coops have outside access to boxes to gather eggs. I've been looking at coops on here but would like to know how people seal the lid so rain doesn't leak into boxes. I have a few ideas but was just wondering what others use for this. Thanks for any info.

2. Bowleggedcowboy

Bowleggedcowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Fitzgerald, Georgia
    I had to redo my nest box. Instead of the lid opening make it so the back of it opens

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    2 ways to do it. Use internal boxes with a door flush with the wall. But to make more internal coop floor space, put the nests outside with a box and sloping lid.
    On one coop I used a continuous hinge for the lid and a strip of EPDM rubber over the hinge and the siding of the building over the top of the hinge and the rubber. If the roof of the coop has a sufficient overhang, it's less of a problem.

Even painted, after a few years my low slope lid started to rot. I'm covering it with this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360723401312?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    The building is the same color green.

4. Steve P

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI
    Did
    I had to redo my nest box. Instead of the lid opening make it so the back of it opens[/quote

]
    Never thought of that

5. Steve P

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI

My over hang is going to be about 16" and I was thinking of using a piece of rubber also. Thanks

6. Bowleggedcowboy

Bowleggedcowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Fitzgerald, Georgia
    Worked real good.. Had a bunch of rain past few days and it doesn't leak. Caulked where the top of nestbox meets the coop front wall

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I found pictures of the first build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Steve P

Feb 23, 2015
    Breckenridge MI
    Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I had pictured in my head

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    You can see pic's of my exterior box via the "My Coop" link at left. Mine is similar except the front opens down instead of lifting the top up. This is our second winter and we've not had any problem with water, rain, ice, snow, etc. getting into the box.

I like the front opening down as it's easier for me - a shorter person - to see inside the box before reaching my hand in there. I'm not fond of putting my hand into places I can't see.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Never had a drop of water inside. However as I said, the roof has deteriorated. It's 6 years old so not so bad. I actually have to replace it today before raccoons find the weak link. I'm making it just a tad larger and then covering it with the sheet of HDPE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by