Outside at what age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 28, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    At what age can a chick be placed outside for good and it not hurt them I usually do 5 weeks but it's getting cooler. Os that still a good age. Bc they are covered with feathers by then.

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hey big. I'm always content when their wing feathers are good and in. ( No wing fluff)

3. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I put them out when they are fully feathered. 5 weeks should be good.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Depends on the temperature.

If it is warm enough at night they can go out immediately but if they need to feather out some wait. I have waited 6 weeks, three weeks etc. I let the weather decide.
    Caroline

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

During the late fall, winter (cold) periods, I have kept chicks in for 8 weeks, really fully feathered indeed! But if you can set up a heat lamp in their coop where they can get close to it, OR get away if they don't need the heat, five weeks would be fine with supplemental heat in the coop at night. I did that for a batch of chicks.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I also think it's really dependent on whether they're being weaned down in temps or just stuck outside. Even with fully feathered 5 week olds, going from 75 degrees in a brooder down to 50 degree night time temps could be a big shock to young birds... so get those indoor temps down so they're ready.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    We keep our babies on a semi sheltered porch and also a 1/4 open barn arrangement. Although we may have already weaned off the lamps in this situations, they have basically been sheltered from rain and winds, so We wait until about 10 weeks before putting them on the ground to give them the best potential. Those cooler nights can really be tough on them. I also don't want a "pileup" waiting at the light so I agree with all the posters [​IMG] Evaluate based on night time temps. Be mindful of the possibility for a "huddle up" If you have a large number going out you may want to have 2 large areas for them and divide!

Observe how they are acting when you put them out and if in doubt keep them under shelter a bit longer!

Hope this helps and have a blessed day.

8. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Yikes! Our weather has been 75ish high and 55 low. If our 5 baby chicks are 3 weeks old, is that too cold for them to be sleeping in their house outside at night? We just purchased them yesterday and they all lived through the 1st night outside. They seem to be very happy with the arrangements.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mispollitos, I bet you can hang a regular light bulb (incandescant, not CFL) on an extension cord, secured in one upper corner of their coop, and it will bump up the heat enough to compensate for the night chill. You wouldn't even have to use a heat lamp.

The general rule is 100 degrees for first couple of days, then around 95 for the first week after that, dropping 5 degrees a week until they are fully feathered (no chick fluff) or the night-time temperature equals the temperature at which they should be for their age. It's been very warm here, my young chicks don't need supplemental heat during the day at all, but at night they need it.

Hope that helps! Y sus pollitos bonitos!

10. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks were out at 3 weeks. Our night time temps are still in the 80s. I did have the heat lamp in the coop for about a week. Just enough to help them settle and finish feathering. They are 5 weeks now and doing just fine outside. They seem to appreciate being on the ground where they can be chickens. But with all that said, I live where it is still 106 daytime temps! I really have more of a situation of keeping them cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by