Outside Brooder-Full of 4-Wk Old BRs and Blue Orps (PICS)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Here's the bunch of them under red lights in the nursery coop, actually the broody pen inside the nursery coop area; I hope we'll get some nice warm days so they can go outside soon. There are two Blue Orp/Buff Brahma crosses, both with feathered legs in there-see if you can spot them in the last picture. One is chocolate-black and one is blue. Then several black Orps, a couple Blue Orps, the splash baby, one black Ameraucana and all those Barred Rocks. I have quite a few girls, but you wouldn't know it the way those cute little combs stand out, LOL.
DCP_9281.jpg

DCP_9285.jpg

DCP_9287.jpg

DCP_9286.jpg

DCP_9289.jpg

DCP_9290.jpg

So cute!! I can't believe how big they've grown. Any decision on the splash?

Mine are still in the back room. They are doing really well, but one has a set of lungs on it, like you wouldn't believe!! I like them in the house, I can spend time with them and really enjoy them. But soon mine will be too big too.
hmm.png

I like their thick legs, too, Julie. Even the girls have pretty thick ones, dont they? Deniece, I'm going to let all you people decide on that splash and quit trying to guess too hard-it makes my head hurt, LOL. Could go either way, I guess.
Christie, I dont know what's up with the weird weather lately. We're expecting a low of about 20, but tomorrow, the high is supposed to be up to around 60 and sunny. Sure hope those two Orp girls keep laying, but I'm about to wring Velvet's fluffy neck! She keeps laying her egg on the floor then getting in the nest and sitting for 30 minutes! Today, I found her egg laid in the middle of her pen and with a hole in it when I got back from the grocery store. No idea why. Silly girl is making me nuts. At least the ones laid on the floor were put down gently, so I could still collect them just fine.

can you post pics showing the full dimensions and outside pics of your brooder? and where it is? do you have it completely outside or is it in a barn or shed? thank you.

mel, that is not my usual brooder. It's actually an inside pen for a broody hen with chicks that is right beside a much larger nursery area. That broody cage/pen, to the right of the pics below, is about 5 ft front to back and over 3 ft wide with a 3 ft tall solid ceiling on which I can sit supplies or a wire dog crate to house an injured bird. The nursery area is actually 7.5' x4.5' and they have since been moved over to that side.
The entire room is about 8x8, half of an L-shaped shed. The following pics hopefully give you an idea.
DCP_6691.jpg

DCP_6690.jpg

Back
Top Bottom