Outside Conditioning Pens?

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I breed Black and White Cochin Bantams with a setup of a few different coops outside. With my growouts, I’ve noticed that pretty much all of them had messy, scraggly feathers. The way to fix this is conditioning pens.

Most people have barns or sheds to keep these guys in, but I was wondering what would happen if I built pens for outside. I’ve never seen outdoor pens like this, but what if it was covered by a clear plastic on three sides to protect the birds from rain and wind? Would this work in the coops as well?

Also, for how long would I condition the chickens before show? After they start molting is a good time, but not every chicken molts at the same time. I feel that from after the last show to the last day of the breeding season, the birds should be out. After that, (starting May/June/July) the chicks will go back into the pens, then the cycle repeats. Is this a good idea, or will it absolutely ruin my chicks’ feathers?

There is not much information about conditioning anywhere, so anything regarding this would help a lot.
96D85731-B783-4FF8-85B6-2249D8D0C028.jpeg
This is one of my growouts. Her feathers are all tattered. She lives with lots of other boys and girls.
73EC14F8-3CDF-4964-A039-1061E4D9C4D8.jpeg
This is one of my hens. Only difference between her and the pullet is that she lives with two other hens and two cocks. They are pretty laid back.
I wonder if the separation, along with less exposure to the weather could bring both these chicks back into their best selves?

I must add that I am in Florida.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom