Outside Coop Paint?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SouthernBYChickens, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    What is the best type of paint to use on the outside of a coop for helping seal up the wood (not talking about color)? I honestly prefer the natural color of the wood, but figure painting it would make it last a while longer. Thanks!!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I used Sherwin Williams Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex to paint my old shed converted into a coop...I love the look of stained but went for the durability!

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Any good exterior paint you would use on a house would be fine for a coop. I used the leftover paint from when we last painted out house. And now they match!

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Do we need to be concerned about the chicks pecking on the paint and eating chips?

5. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    same as above. just use what you have leftover from your house. thats what we did also.

6. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    all you have to look for is outdoor paint and it should last a very long time i am not sure where you live but winter is not the best time to paint i would wait till spring but i live in the midwest where it is cold!!

7. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

we used farm and home barn paint, unfortunately you have two color choices red or white. But it works great, goes on like stain covers like paint and seals wonderfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by