1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

outside coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sltatum1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. sltatum1

sltatum1 New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    I'm a new chicken mommy. We have converted a dog pen to be our chicken hotel. I was wondering do we need to put the pine shavings or hay on the ground? it just is dirt right now. I want to make sure they like what their stepping on. Should it be lined with shavings? I have 5 chicks in the house that are 2 weeks old. But I also have to RIR that are about 7 months that I just purchased that are outside. I also just learned that they need a roosting pole. Gotta get to work on that.
    Thanks so much
    Susan

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I would use SAND! I've tried all different types of materials for the ground, and I've found that dirt gets stinky and muddy, and pine shavings will be a mess before no time, but sand is the very best. I just scoop out the poo with a kitty litter scooper and it generally stays fresh. Also, it drains well if it gets wet. Chickens like to use sand as a dust bath too.

It's cheaper, if you have a sand and gravel place somewhere nearby and if you have a truck, to get a load of sand. Here in Ohio that costs about $15.00 for a pick up truck load. It's more expensive to buy the sand in bags, like playsand, but I would do it in a heartbeat if that's the only way I could get the sand.

Try it, and you won't be disappointed,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by