Outside entrance to nest box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by djackjr, Oct 6, 2011.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Built a new nest box that is attached to outside of coop and they of course enter from inside and I lift roof on outside to get eggs. Well long story short they are now laying on the coop floor for the last two months, they refuse to use new nest box lol. So any ideas on how to entice them to use it. If I put eggs inside of the new nest box they squash the eggs!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try fake eggs or golf balls in the new nest boxes.

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2 I used golf balls

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Any large craft store sells wooden eggs for crafts that are light brown like most yard eggs. Or, any of the poultry suppliers also sell them. Worth s shot.
    erik

5. kansasgirlinutah

kansasgirlinutah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    While we were building our coop, our girls started nesting where ever they could all over the yard or garden. We found 4 regular nesting places. So when we were finally done and wanted them to use the actual nesting boxes that we so lovingly built for them, we would go around to where they were nesting and picked them up and put them in the boxes. Now most of them lay their eggs in the boxes. I don't think we have enough boxes and that's why some of them still lay in the yard. Good luck with your girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by