outside feed storage solutions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fiddlebanshee, Apr 7, 2012.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have no space to store feed scratch, boss etc. in an enclosure. I have it in metal trashcans. For the last 6 months this was no problem. Then yesterday night something got into it. The lid of the can that held the cratch was not secured by bungee cords and the can was tipped over and the scratch scattered around. However, and this is the most mind boggling thing, the other can that held the BOSS had its lid secured with 4 bungee cords. This can completely disappeared. Not a trace. Gone. No dragmarks, no bungeecords scattered around, as if it was teleported to another planet.

I can see raccoons topple the can with the scratch, but can they remove an entire galvanized almost full 13 gal can with BOSS? Would they not loose interest if they can't get it open?

Oh well, it is obvious I need another feed storage solution. Your tips?

2. albert w

albert w Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm a painting contractor and I clean out my empty paint buckets and use them for storage. The lids snap on really tight and the smaller size is better for stashing/storing in odd, out-of-the-way spaces. I've heard you can get empty 5-gallon buckets from restaurant and fast food places for free. Pickles and such come in them. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Back2Roots

Back2Roots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Is it possible that a predator of the two-legged variety thought it might be fun to "play a prank"?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Any bears in Frederick? They're usually to impatiant to carry it off, but you never know.

5. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Yes there are bear, we're up on the mountain, amidst state parks, but it seems a lot of hassle for bear to roll it that far away that we cannot find it.

6. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote: Theoretically possible, although our lot is way off the road and someone would have to know that it is there. My question would be "why?". I don't mind the loss of the trashcan nor the seeds so much, as that I want to solve the mystery. Perhaps a gamecam is in order.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I didn't think a bear would take it. They are much more likely to smash it open on the spot. Maybe a bigfoot? Is it possible a family member, friend or some other visitor moved it without telling? If its bigfoot gamecam would be great. I just hate it when things grow feet and move by themselves.

8. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Well, here's an update. We found the garbage can badly dented about 100 feet in the woods from the place where it was. The sunflower seeds were scattered around, half of them still in the bag and didn't seem to have been eaten much. Given the shape of the bin, we have now concluded that it was, in fact, a black bear. I have put the remainder of the BOSS in another metal garbage can inside the run this time. Just hope that he/she doesn't come back and tear down the run. I have nowhere else to put it for now, unless we take it into the house but that's going to be a pain.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could you post a pic of your coop situation so we could offer suggestions that will work with your setup?

10. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by