Outside food & water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sbrown1414, May 13, 2010.

1. sbrown1414

sbrown1414 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I just moved my flock of six out of the brooder and into the coop a week and a half ago. They have been using their run for about a week and I don't know if I need to put the food and water outside during the daytime while they are in the run. As of right now, there is some lawn in their run and they are pecking at it all day long. [​IMG] The run is about 30'x12'. They are really sweet but not very smart and I can't tell if they are eating their crumbles or not. I have found them a couple of times in the coop, but they are always laying next to the pop door if they are inside. I want to make sure they are getting the nutrition that they need to be able to be great layers in a few months. Does anyone else put the food and water outside or do you have two sets of feeders and waterers? Thanks for the help. This is a great website and forum and has given us so much information since we are new to all of this!

2. svalentine

svalentine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Efland NC
    I've been wondering the same thing. Right now we've been moving the food outside during the day and back in at night. There is water in both places. It seems eventually they should only eat during the day and sleep at night. But are you supposed to wait till they're older and provide food all the time at the younger ages. Mine are 2 mons.
    They are little eating machines!

3. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I have water inside the coop and outside (nipple waterers). The food is inside, it stays dry and fresh, no flies or other problems at this point and they just go in and eat when they want to.
    Their run is hardware cloth so I don't have any concerns regarding other animals coming in and eating the food. I just think keeping it in the coop reduces anything "hanging around" for a meal of chick feed.

4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I keep food inside the coop and have water available outside and inside the coop. If they are hungry, they will go in and eat. Where I live, keeping food outside isn't an option due to weather conditions that can change 4 times in one day.

5. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Food and water inside. Large water dish outside (I really like the soft rubber black one's I get from Agway- won't break in the winter). Once adults they get a small kiddie pool that I clean every couple of days or so. That way I know they won't ever run out of water. I have alot of chickens though.... In the winter I switch back to the black dishes that go from like 2 qt size all the way up to whatever size you want.

6. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    I keep my food and water outside all the time.

They seem to prefer it outside.

7. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We just moved our small flock outside. We keep food and water in the coop and in the run. They love eating outside. That said, my run is sand so there is no real foraging for them.

8. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I keep their food in the run 24/7 but their run in enclosed so they come and go as they want.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    They will go in and eat if they're hungry -- they don't need every meal they eat to be balanced perfectly, in the end it will all work out in the wash and they'll be just fine. If there's food available don't worry about them. Chickens have lived for hundreds of years without specially formulated crumbles, pellets and mashes. They'll eat what they need. [​IMG]

10. sbrown1414

sbrown1414 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Thank you so much for your input! Chicken people are just AWESOME! I'm so glad that I can be associated with you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by