Outside in 95 degree heat today?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PuffMommy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    It's going to be HOT in CT today. Can I keep the 6 day old chicks out it a pen (in the shade) today? They love being outside and was wondering if they could handle it for a couple of hours since it's going to be the temp they need under the lamp anyway...

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I did and they are all just great.. I would however put something protecting them from above I lost my black crested black polish baby to a hawk from above.

3. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Hi PuffMommy,
    Just keep a close eye on them. If they start panting you will want to bring them back in the house. This weather is just gross! Not ready for this in June. blech.
    Good luck!!
    Terry

4. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    My first chickens and we're in VA so also in this sweltering heat wave this weekend. My flock is 14 weeks old and I've been watching them carefully but what do I look for as far as heat distress? They're free range so have been staying under the coop or in the woods. Still eating, drinking, squawking, scratching...typical behavior 'cept at night when I go to close the door, they're on the roost but still panting. I put a fan in the window. 3 sides are screened. Don't know much else to do to help them other than put an AC unit in a window!

Thanks,
    Karen

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    3nglishteacher, there's not much else you can do other than what you're doing. Try to avoid having anything stress them. Also, if at all possible, freeze a couple of gallon milk jugs and set them in front of the fan as it blows into their coop. It brings the temp. down a couple of degrees and every little bit helps in this horrible heat.

6. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Also, if at all possible, freeze a couple of gallon milk jugs and set them in front of the fan as it blows into their coop. It brings the temp. down a couple of degrees and every little bit helps in this horrible heat.

Funny you said that, we're in S.W. PA and having a heat wave. The coop and run are shaded by two big trees but it's still hot in there so what I've been doing is placing 2 frozen milk jugs on the floor no electricity in the coop, so no fan. The chicks all lay around it enjoying the cool and then when they are melted I pour that ice cold water into their waterer and replace with 2 new frozen jugs. Seems to be working well, no panting chicks. Plus they are still going outside to play then come into the jugs to cool back off.​

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I know with it getting to 100 the past few days here I have had to put frozen jugs of ice in the coop and brooder box for the chickens. I replenish their water several times a day from the cold well, too.
    It is just too funny to see them standing on top of the ice jugs in the coop. The Cochins especially have enjoyed them but the EE are not slow to get up there either!
    I feel so bad for them but supposedly it is supposed to cool off the end of this week. Wouldn't you know it, I get chicks and the weather gets incredibly hot too quick! Guess this means my garden will not make well either. Blast and darn![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by