"Outside" layer..........unappreciative of her "lovely" nest!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris623, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Chris623

Chris623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    I obviously have one hen who sometimes lays an egg outside. The hens have been laying for about 6 weeks now. I've got 6 nesting boxes for the 14 hens.....which ought to satisfy the most picky of girl chickies, but not this one. Don't have any idea which one it is. I just go out and there will be an egg on the ground...........and never in the same place, but never hidden. We've been having bitter weather here in Oklahoma the past few weeks and if this hen lays an egg early and I don't see it until later in the day, it's frozen. The one I picked up today was even cracked because of the freezing. I brought in all the eggs and put them away. But there's no way I'd sell an egg like that, so I grabbed another and had a couple of fried eggs for a late lunch/early dinner. The egg was definitely frozen, but thawed in the skillet as it cooked. So my question ( just because I'm a noobie at this chicken stuff ) is: is there any reason not to eat an egg that has frozen?

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Frozen eggs are fine to eat (just watch out for if they are cracked and have gotten germs inside)

She may catch on yet. I had one (or possibly two) who refused to lay inside, but they caught on eventually (I think being locked up for a couple days helped). I do still have one who's maybe on the low end of the totem pole, though, and unable to get to the boxes sometimes. She hides her eggs in the oddest places and manages to get into spots that I wouldn't have thought she could. She's my psycho flighty one, though, too. Unfortunately, she's also, I'm sure, the one who just laid a beautiful terra-cotta colored egg this week. Makes it hard to think of getting rid of her.

3. Chris623

Chris623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    Okay, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by