Outside ok?

chickenpower

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I have 5 chicks that are about 2 or so weeks old, still under a heat lamp. Also, I have a leghorn (I think) that is about a week to 2 weeks older than my chicks. Here is a picture taken last night:

A friend of mine has 4 that she will be giving me on tuesday that are about the same age as my bigger one (not sure of her breed but they are all white). She has not used a heat lamp (not as careful as me i guess but her chicks survived). i don't have room for anymore inside but my coop is complete outside.
I am in Georgia where the days average 70s-80s and the lows are high 50s at night.
My question-is it ok to put the new chickens in the coop and get a heatlamp for the night? And when do I move my chicks in? This is my first time with chickens.

They could go to the coop with a heat lamp. We tend to be cautious with our little ones but I think they would be ok, just make sure the lamp is securely mounted in the coop to provide enough heat for the littler ones. The bigger ones will probably shun the lamp anyways. Or move the bigger ones out and wait a couple of weeks on the little guys. You might want another lamp the the coop for some heat but wouldn't need to be a real heat lamp for the bigger ones.

Last edited:
They could go to the coop with a heat lamp. We tend to be cautious with our little ones but I think they would be ok, just make sure the lamp is securely mounted in the coop to provide enough heat for the littler ones. The bigger ones will probably shun the lamp anyways. Or move the bigger ones out and wait a couple of weeks on the little guys. You might want another lamp the the coop for some heat but wouldn't need to be a real heat lamp for the bigger ones.

I agree with the above statement. The big ones will be fine. I would move them to avoid overcrowding, and wait until the little ones have more feathers.

Back
Top Bottom