Outside or too young?

Blondiebird526

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2022
Hello, so these are our cute little Olive Eggers. They have been testing out their wings the last couple of days, and have also really started scratching and foraging the bottom of the pin. I was wondering if they are too young to go one supervised visits outside. I am guessing they are about 2 or 3 weeks old but really have no idea. Any advice is helpful!!

Edited to say that it is 60 degrees now and is suppos to get up to 85.
20220303_075040.jpg

I will put my chicks in a wire cage in the yard for an hour or so when I'm home during the day. I call them field trips. I gradually increase the time they're out as the weather warms up. I also have a prefab coop with hardware cloth that they can field trip in which I eventually move them into when they're ready to go outside.

Welcome to BYC.

Do you have a secure "playpen" for them so that they can't run off and get lost if something frightens them and so that they're safe from possible predator attacks?

Or is your coop and run ready so that they could visit their future home?

Also, though I don't want to frighten you, are you in an area affected by Avian Flu (info here and here), where you'll need to ensure that they don't come in contact with wild birds or wild bird droppings?

If you can keep them safe outside and the weather is warm you can certainly take them out for supervised outdoor time. Just watch to make sure that they don't get chilled.

Or is your coop and run ready so that they could visit their future home?
Their run will be finished on Saturday and I'm hoping their coop as well. I can set up a playpen, but now that you mention it, being in Southern California, would that be a good idea?

Also, though I don't want to frighten you, are you in an area affected by Avian Flu (info here and here), where you'll need to ensure that they don't come in contact with wild birds or wild bird droppings?
Our plans for our run and coop is for them to be completely roofed but is there any recommendations on how to make sure the ground is safe?

Their run will be finished on Saturday and I'm hoping their coop as well. I can set up a playpen, but now that you mention it, being in Southern California, would that be a good idea?

Our plans for our run and coop is for them to be completely roofed but is there any recommendations on how to make sure the ground is safe?

I don't *think* that it's been found in California yet. Mainly in the Eastern flyway and a little over towards the Mississippi.

Best to get a roof, or at least a tarp, up ASAP.

BTW, being in southern California you're in a great area for an Open Air coop -- which is, essentially, a roofed wire box with a 3-sided weather shelter at the windward end.

Here are a few examples:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-positive-local-action-coop.72804/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/california-living.68130/

And mine, which is extremely large at 16'x16':

0917211627c_HDR.jpg
0917211627_HDR.jpg

They absolutely can be out for a little bit at that age, with those temperatures, as long as there's a secure enclosure of some sort to prevent them from running off. I'd keep the trips short and supervised at first, then if they do well they can stay out longer. Make sure they have access to their food and water as well as some protection from the sun as well as any winds.

Back
Top Bottom