Outside-ready?

trinity2883

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
I have 2 chicks that are 5 weeks old and 5 chicks that are 4 weeks old. The pictured one is 4 weeks. Is this enough feathering to move them outside?

Here in Oregon it's 50s during the day, 30s at night. They would be in a plastic dog kennel at night (or I could move them inside at night if I should until the temps at night are warmer) and in a run during the day with the plastic dog kennel open should they want to go back into it.

Attachments

• fNZK9KrA.jpeg
    fNZK9KrA.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Ld9ZnWDA.jpeg
    Ld9ZnWDA.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 32
  • rbHy1rLk.jpeg
    rbHy1rLk.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 32
I would personally wait a little longer. I feel like four weeks is still a bit young and I think I can see chick fuzz still on the chicks head in your photo. I usually don’t put my chicks out until they’re at least 6 weeks old. It’s been colder here to I’ve been waiting longer than that but I think 6 weeks is a safe bet.

It's feathered enough to go out, provided you've weaned them off heat (or are providing a heated place outdoors until you wean them off completely) and preferably if you've already started introducing them to colder temperatures. If not, I'd work on that in the upcoming week, and then they can go out full time.

The one that is pictured has a LOVELY pattern! Such cool feathers!

I have two 5 week old buff orpingtons and two 4 week old sapphire gems outside in the coop right now, but they've got a heat lamp running at night (and on but dimmed during the day). It has been up to 76F during the day, and down to 35F one night. I had thought to put them in the wire dog kennel in the run, but it lets in too much wind.

I agree with rosemarythyme above: they'll need heat if they haven't been weaned off it yet!

The one that is pictured has a LOVELY pattern! Such cool feathers!

I have two 5 week old buff orpingtons and two 4 week old sapphire gems outside in the coop right now, but they've got a heat lamp running at night (and on but dimmed during the day). It has been up to 76F during the day, and down to 35F one night. I had thought to put them in the wire dog kennel in the run, but it lets in too much wind.

I agree with rosemarythyme above: they'll need heat if they haven't been weaned off it yet!
Ahh thank you!! I LOVE the white on her!

It's getting towards the upper 50s/barely hitting 60 this week but still gets in the mid 30s at night, and I've been weaning them off the heat lamp. Last night was their first night without the heat lamp but in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom