Outside roost ideas - show me yours!!!...please :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FarmGirl21, Oct 22, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I just expanded the yard due to the older/smaller one being nasty wet all the time. The chickens got to take over the old duck pen & then some. I have plenty of scraps of wood from all the building lately & a lot of leftover good stuff. I am thinking about making an outside roost and possibly a couple nest boxes..but only a couple. I would LOVE to see some ideas of ones that other BYC members have built or used for an outside roost/nesting area. Thanks!!

I was also maybe thinking of building a small shelter-type thing for the food & water. any ideas are appreciated!

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you wanting them to sleep outside at night? Generally that's exactly what they end up doing if you give them an outdoor roost.

3. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    It would just be for day use. I would put them all away at night...i always have to go close the door anyway...we have a terrible rat problem. we lost 10 chicks a couple weeks ago.

4. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Our chickens have an outside roost that is a large tree limb. Rather than dispose of it, I thought to remove the thinner branches and leaves. They use the limbs all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jenn

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    gotchooks? how do you keep grass growing in your run?!?!!? mine is void of all life!

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Krote, I was reading that if you put down chicken wire on the bottom it keeps them from scratching up the roots. That what we did in our new coop. I read that some people do it over their gardens and allow the veggies to grow up over the netting.

I like the perch outside, I have one little guy who likes to perch during the day.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've got 2x4s across the corners of my run. The chickens love them, Jake sleeps on them most of the time (unless the weather is insane, then he goes inside the barn).

8. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Her website says she lays new sod in the run about 3 times a year. There's no stopping the chicken destruction of a lawn.

9. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:I was just wondering the same thing!!! I have something green that grows...some sort of weed, looks like small lettuce (but isn't) But grass??? nope

Edited to note that I didn't read the rest of the thread before asking. I can't afford sod once much less three times a year. Sheesh...what spoiled rotten chickens those must be lol

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  10. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I do replace the sod. I get an amazing deal on it, and I can't let the hens free range so I figured this would be the next best thing. They ate the grass down to nothing...and I stopped getting those rich colored yolks...until I replaced the grass.

My girls are spoiled rotten. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by