Outside run big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tillyschick, May 19, 2016.

1. tillyschick

tillyschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2016
    After losing two of our chickens yesterday to a coyote, we are getting a large, safe run built next week! Right now they have a small run that they are growing out of. We are using an old metal shed for the coop. It's about 6x15 and 8 ft tall. It nice and big and the chicken have so much room! We now have 4 but will be adding 4-8 more in time. The outside run will be 15x16. Is this enough room for the chicken? I hate keeping them penned up but I don't want to lose anymore. We will be doing coated hardware wire all around the sides and top. I read that was the best to use. Hopefully that is true!

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You can surround a much larger area for less $$$ with electrified poultry net, instead of building a wood framed, hardware clothed cage/run.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    I have small children so wouldn't that be dangerous?

4. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The fence does bite, but it doesn't do any serious harm. It doesn't burn, just shocks. You could just turn it off, when the kids are outside.

5. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    I'll tell my husband about that and see what he says. They kids touch the chicken fense ALOT so not sure if it wil work for us. How to you protect against Hawks then?

6. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    This is what I use.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?fence_id=93

Depending on the age of the kids, they will quickly learn to not touch the fence. It'll jolt you, but really, it'll scare you more than it will actually hurt you. As far as hawks go, check out the pic, my birds have the coop itself to use/hide under, and there is a big bushy area behind the coop, they can hang out and use to hide in. In one part of my run area, I let the grass grow tall, and I have a couple of pallets set up on top of some cinder blocks. They hang out on top of those, and they can get under and hide if need be.
    My birds are outside everyday. In six years, I have lost two birds to a flying predator. I have hawks, and even eagles out back in the marsh around here. The chickens get tuned in to whats going on around them. They hear a hawk, they head for cover. They have even learned the local crow's hawk warning call, I've seen them react to it. But ground predator is a different story. Before I got the fence/netting, I had two daytime attacks, from the local fox. I lost nine in the first, and another seven in the second. I consider buying that fence, probably one of the best things I have done for my birds. I started with 300', and now have 650' of it, it works.

7. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    I have a 2 yr old and 1 yr old. We will also have more kids in another year.

We have bushes and trees all around our property so we assumed it was a coyote but our neighbor said she saw Hawks yesterday afternoon so it is a possibility. They were sitting in the bushes when attacked! So now I'm worried just having the bushes and trees for coverage isn't enough :/

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine with proper manure management and ventilation till you reach around 20 birds...

9. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks! We probably won't ever get that many but I'm glad it's not to small

And hardware wire is what I want? People look at my crazy when I ask for it and keep trying to give me chicken wire.

10. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: May 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by