Outside temperatures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    We are talking about moving our 7 week old chicks outside, making them their own coop until they are big enough to move in with the others. The temperature outside is everywhere from 40 to 70 in the morning. At night it gets down to the 30s and 20s. Are these temperatures too cold? If I can move them out, what are some ways I can make them feel comfortable? Gould we wait until their older?

One last question; what is the coldest temp I can let them outside in?

Thank you all!!

2. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    They fully feather at 6 weeks so you should be fine.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    the coldest temp? Mine are outside in -0*....even sleeping in the run, in the cold...
    if they are fully feathered, they are great...in fact the cold will help toughen them up
    and get their winter "plumage"...[​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Yes its the down coat they build of fine feathers and hold hot and cold in with the big outside feathers. At 7 week in the mild conditions you have where you live is fine. I live in Portland OR and last night we were in the high 20 and your girls and mine are in the same conditions. You have to trust they have been putting chickens out in frigid weathers for 1000's of years [​IMG]

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I, too, built a temporary coop and put my 6 week olds out there.

They LOVE the extra space to run around and play.

Temps at night sometimes get in the upper 20's but the chicks just huddle together keeping plenty warm and in the morning they're frolicking about having fun.

[​IMG]

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yup. Agreed. As long as they have each other, and maybe some shavings/ straw in case they want to snuggle down. They will most likely rather perch together rather than be on the ground, but the option is there. They are a LOT tougher than we are....or than we thiink they are!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I use heat for my babies. Let them out of the nursery coop in the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by