outside temps

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckielove, Apr 5, 2009.

1. duckielove

duckielove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    hi all, ive searched through the topics looking for an answer to a question i have but havnt really 'found' one. I have 12 ducklings that will be 5 weeks old tomorrow, they are about 80% feathered. Id like to put them outside today for awhile their pen is in direct sun most of the day and in the sun it is almost 70 but the actual air temp is 46 with a wind chill of 40ish. It is suppose to get about 53 today. Can they go out or not?
    Thank you

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I would say that it sounds to Cold to Leave them out, temps do fall at Night don't they? A short day trip toward mid afternoon may work however. Provide a windbreak and if they get chilled get them warmed up right away

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. duckielove

duckielove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Oh my bad I guess i should have mentioned this would just be a field trip so to speak. I wasnt planning on moving them outside permanently just yet, I just wanted to know if they could go play outside for a bit then they would go back up to their inside pen where it is warmer:)

4. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My ducks are about 5 weeks old and have been outside in 25 to 70 degree weather for the last 3 weeks. I first put them out in a small Little Tikes house (see my website to understand :) with a heat lamp for 2 nights. Then I just let them decide. They have been out in all kinds of weather now for a few weeks and don't seem bothered by any of it. I also have 2 newbies that are about 3 weeks old. Did the same with them and they all tolerate our range of temps. Decided that ducks keep warm with their coats! They also seem to love the rain and even spits of snow.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I put mine out yesterday and left them out. It was almost 70 then down to 40 today. I have a wind break and a heat lamp on them. They seem to be doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by