Outside time for new birds

eschwaderer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ohio
I have a large coop and 42, seven week old LF chicks. I have a secure run that is a little over 300 square feet that I just began letting them out in during the day. I also have about 1/6 acre fenced in (not secure from above) that I will start to use when they are a little older.

My question is this: should I let the individual birds decide whether to stay outside at night in their enclosed run or should I keep putting them inside there coop at night? A few, 3 or 4, always seem to stay outside after dark and fall asleep. Nights here have been in the lower 50's. I'm trying to get them into the habit of going inside at night so that when I start to let them out into their pastured area they will come back in at night on their own. I don't want to have to chase in the flock every night if they decide they like sleeping outside better than their coop. Anyone have some experience with this? I've been going into the run at dusk and putting the stragglers inside every night.

Mine are 12 weeks. I turn a light on in my coop every day around 7 PM. When it is nearly dark, they go in the coop on their own. Then I lock them in and turn off the light. Some people lure them in with a treat or a little scratch. They should learn and do it on their own if you are consistent.

Back
Top Bottom