Outside time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniferrose, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jenniferrose

jenniferrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Someone mentioned to me that you shouldn't put chicks outside because predators will hear them and remember where they live and know to come back when they are older. Any experience with this? It has been in the 80s here so I took our 2 1/2 week old chicks out to have fun. They love it and have so much more room than their current brooder (Rubbermaid bin).

Here is a pic of their setup:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. There is truth in what you were told.

Keep them draft free and with heat until they are feathered (usually 4 weeks). Sounds pretty warm where you are at.

I have brooded outdoors from day old with great success. I have been in warm to hot climates. But as long as they are draft free and warm with adequate food and water they will do JUST FINE outdoors. Kinda like when a broody raises them herself by the back door. :)

Wish ha the best.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    wild predators are usually always on the move. If they find an available food source, they'll stick around till it's gone, then move along.

I doubt any wild predators will be walking along one day and go "oh yeah, there were some chicks back at that address, they should be big enough that careless owner is letting them out for us to eat now". Animals can be trained through repetition, but animals do not have a sense of logic.

now the local dogs and cats, or hawks with a nest nearby, they'll always be around anyway.

Your setup looks good, take them out and let them enjoy the sunshine and the grass.

4. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    oh yeah the most important thing

[​IMG]

5. jenniferrose

Mar 15, 2015
    Thanks all! They LOVE being outside and sleep so well after. We don't have a garage so they are living in a "bonus" room in our house and the older they get he more I want them outside to keep the dust and smell outside.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try letting them out of that outdoor enclosure to get in some real running and flying. You'll be around to keep them safe, and they won't run off. Just lure them back with some meal worms when you want to round them up.

Most people are far too over protective of chicks. They can take lower temps just fine as long as their chill down is arrested before it sustains for too long a period. But they won't hardly get chilled at 80. The additional freedom will thrill your chicks and do your heart good to watch the fun they have trying to fly.

1 person likes this.
  7. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Absolutely! if you're having a bad day, just go sit outside and watch the chickens, I guarantee your mood will change......

8. jenniferrose

Mar 15, 2015
    I can imagine! I am sitting at work now wishing I was home watching my little chicks wander and peck in the sunshine.

9. gtwallichs

gtwallichs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Hi. I think what you have is perfect for a few hours a day, as long as you bring them in when it gets cold. I did that with my little girls and they loved it. Probably cuz it was nicer/bigger than their brooder. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by