1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Outside Tonight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by modenacart, Apr 17, 2008.

1. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I have seven, eight week old chickens and I am keepig them in a 4x4x4 chicken house. Tonight was going to be the first night we put them in it. Its going to be a low of 45 F. Is that too cold for them?

Thanks,

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    My chicks are 7 weeks old, I put them out in the chicken tractor and temps dropped to 28 last night. I went out to check on them to see if they needed the heat lamp and they just looked at me like they were asking why I was bothering them. If you are worried, you can always put a heat lamp out with them, just please make sure it's secured if you do. You don't want it knocked down and start a fire!

3. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Sounds like they will be ok. I have been keeping them out during the day until after dark and bring them in the house until tonight, and it was getting about 55 F when I brought them in over the past few days. They haven't seemed to mind too much. They just sit under the bush in our garden area.

4. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm in NC too. My chicks are 6 weeks old, and have been in the coop full time for a week. I used a heat lamp the last 3 nights when it got in the mid 30's. They definitel huddled underneath the light. The low tonight is 45 and I'm not going to use the heat lamp. They were settling down at 7pm, and seemed happy.

5. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I had no problems last night. I am sure they enjoy all the extra room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by