Outside Transition Plan - March in NC

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ThePonyDraw, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ThePonyDraw

ThePonyDraw New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    I've seen a few threads on the topic of transitioning chicks from the indoor brooder to outside coop life. I'm starting to plan that for my flock and wanted to see what folks thought. Here's what I have....

The Chicks: Twenty-four barred rock pullets and six mixed Rhode Island Reds in two separate brooders. Are in the three to four week range. Feathering out well and I anticipate will be fully feathered in the next week or so.

Current Brooders: Livestock tanks. Inside the house. House temperature is 68 F degrees. Brooders have heat lamps 24 hours a day. Chicks currently remain comfortable temperature wise.

Outside Coop: Three sided coop with large enclosed run. Plenty big enough to accommodate all the chicks as adults. No access to electricity at the coop.

Current Outside Temps: Temps are still high thirties or low forties during the day as low as mid-high twenties at night. Forecast has an increase in day time temps into the low 60s starting next week and continuing. Lows at night in the high thirties.

THE PLAN: I'll admit I'm anxious to get them out of my house which is why I want someone else to chime in on my plan.
    Step One: Starting tomorrow (Wednesday) reduce heat lamp usage, by turning off light during the day while brooder is still inside.
    Step Two: Once chicks are fully feathered and the weather starts to warm (this weekend) I'd like to move the brooders outside onto the back porch. Here they will be protected from any wet weather and winds, but they can start acclimating to the temperatures. Keep heat lamp in use during the night.
    Step Three: Wean chicks off the use of the heat lamp and once they no longer use the heat lamp move them into the coop keeping them shut into the walled portion until settled and then allow them full access of the coop and enclosed run.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jennifer McRae
    The Pony Draw

2. Katok8607

Katok8607 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Pine Valley, CA
    I new to chicks but, that's sounds like a good plan. I moved our brooder box into out run when our 10 chicks were 2 and 4 weeks. We continue to you the lamp but cut a hole in the box so they have 24/7 access to the run. Our temps have been about high 20's at night to high 60's durning the day except for yesterday we had a brief snow around mid morning. They've now been out there for almost 3 weeks and seem to be doing awesome.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Matelew

Matelew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    I am new as well but your plan sounds good. I live in NC as well and plan to put my 5week old BO in the coop next week. While the weather was nice today I let them outside to play a few hours covered with Bird netting and no one complained. Plan to do the same tomorrow and then put them in the coop next week as long as temps stay above 50 but I like the idea of putting them on the deck for a night or two with a lamp and see how they do...good luck.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by