Outside

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
My chicks are currently 4 weeks old and doing great. I was wondering the best age for them to go outside and then the best age to introduce them to my established flock. I know they are to young for both right now and I have heard a lot that they can go out at 6 weeks and be introduced to the other chickens at around 10-12 weeks. Is this correct? Thanks.
-ChickenWhisperer101

I introduced mine at about 10 weeks. They had been in their own little coop for about 3 weeks with the main flock being able to interact through the wire. They were then able to free range together for about a week and then, when there weren’t any issues, I let them sleep with the main flock. You could do it a little younger depending on the weather in your area.

What is ideal varies depending on your location/climate, as well as your set up, but at 4 weeks 1 day my last batch had already moved into the coop and were roosting with the adults.

early10.jpg

What is ideal varies depending on your location/climate, as well as your set up, but at 4 weeks 1 day my last batch had already moved into the coop and were roosting with the adults.

View attachment 2534256
Wow! That’s really early. Ours with go into there own coop first then after our other chicks arrive in June reach the age where we can put them with the flock we will mix our flocks together.
Hope this isn’t too confusing
Also I live in Texas

Wow! That’s really early. Ours with go into there own coop first then after our other chicks arrive in June reach the age where we can put them with the flock we will mix our flocks together.
Hope this isn’t too confusing
Also I live in Texas

The difference is I brood outdoors, so that starts the look but don't touch process immediately (so there's no separate coop in use for integration, they go from brooder to adult coop).

At around 2 weeks my last batch had full run access with the adults during the day, they were off heat at 3 1/2 weeks, and I left it up to them to decide when they wanted to roost after that, and they did it in 2 days after losing brooder access.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

The difference is I brood outdoors, so that starts the look but don't touch process immediately (so there's no separate coop in use for integration, they go from brooder to adult coop).

At around 2 weeks my last batch had full run access with the adults during the day, they were off heat at 3 1/2 weeks, and I left it up to them to decide when they wanted to roost after that, and they did it in 2 days after losing brooder access.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
I brood mine outside it’s just we have ours inside right now because it’s around 30 degrees right now

Back
Top Bottom