Outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Huskeriowa, May 2, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all.

I have my chicks living in the basement in a dog cage. Today they are 5.5 weeks old. The nightly temperature is in the upper 40's so I have not put them in the coop yet. This weekend the lows are supposed to be in the fifties with the highs in the sixties and seventies. I know that chicks are supposed to start at ninety degrees under a heat lamp and each week you reduce the temp by 5 degrees. So at six weeks this weekend they would be ready for lows of only 65 degrees? Or are they feathered out enough this weekend to go outside?

When younger I had chicks and put them in the run when it felt warm enough and never had any die. Now the internet is here and I found this forum and am suddenly paranoid. Anyway, is it ok to leave them out?

Thanks much.

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would wait a few more weeks if you can manage. They should have good feathers and be able to stand more cold but I always play it safe and probably baby my chicks a little too. [​IMG]

3. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply. So would you say that fifty plus degree temps at night is dangerous to a six week old or is it just not as comfortable as they would like?

4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I put mine out at 4-5 weeks with a heatlamp. The lows got into the 30s one night, but they did super.

[​IMG]

5. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    I finished my coop today and mine are being evicted from the garage tomorrow, our temps are about the same as yours. My birds are a few weeks older though and fully feathered. Tired of them walking all over the garage and pooping everywhere, because they will no longer stay in the pen.[​IMG] I have had mine in the garage since they were 4 weeks old without a heat lamp and it has been steady in the 30's over night and they have done fine. Good luck.

6. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If they have a draft-free spot to sleep, and there are enough of them to keep each other warm, I don't think you'll have any problems.

7. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks for responding. They will go to the coop this weekend then. I am sure that all will be much happier.

8. louclare

louclare Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    we just put ours outside at that age, but we put the heat lamp in the coop. they like it much better than the brooder! [​IMG]

9. Thompsonc2012

Thompsonc2012 New Egg

May 3, 2011
    Is there a time line out there that anyone knows about that says when steps should be taken interms of moving outside for the day and moving outside full time?

10. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I don't think there's a timeline. It just depends on what temperatures you're having outside at night, and how old they are. My great-grandma brooded her chicks in an outdoor brooder house, with a potbellied stove to keep them warm. As long as the nights are warm enough according to their age (or you use a heat lamp) they should be fine.

If you mean leaving them in a pen on the lawn during the day, I would make sure they have some kind of shelter to run into if they get cold, even if it's just a cardboard box; and I would keep a close eye on them to see if they huddle up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by