Outsmart Chickens from Spilling Food from Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tilly's Nest, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    For a long time now, my chickens were emptying their feeders. Who knows why- perhaps from boredom, looking for the perfect pellet or just for fun! I wanted to share a creative solution to just this problem. It is cheap and easy and works will all hanging feeders. Plus you probably have the supplies already at your house.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/09/outsmarting-chickens-at-feeder.html

Enjoy!

2 people like this.
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

smart!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. angelchix

angelchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Karns City, PA
    A great idea and easy enough to do. The orps and silkies like to scratch the feed out. hum. gonna try this in the silkie feeder for sure.

4. galefrances

galefrances Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Newstead, NY
    That's a great idea! I'm going to try it. I have a DIY feeder made of PVC pipe and a high end litter pan. The idea was so that the chickens couldn't spill it out. Or so the author of the project said. Well it worked for about a month and now all of a sudden I have feed dumped on the floor in front of the feeder. But I do like the feeder because it holds 25lbs. of feed. So, now I can try your idea and see if the chicken wire fixes my problem. THANKS Tilly.

5. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Oh I do hope it works for you on your feeder too! Let me know :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by