Ovarian Cancer?Severely lethargic 16 month old hen

meg_warriner

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
I have a severely lethargic 16 month old hen. I cannot keep weight on her and she just had an impacted crop that I was able to clear and she is eating light foods now including egg and drinking lots of water. She is passing poop and lots of fluid. She has been lethargic for about 2 weeks now. She is 16 months old and never matured so she isn’t laying eggs. Could this be ovarian cancer or all be from an impacted crop? I have been raising chickens for eggs for 35 years (since I was 7) and never encountered anything like this. I had one other hen before (different flock) with an impacted crop. It cleared and she stayed in my chicken icu for 24 hours and was good to go.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Can you get some photos of her poop and of her>

Sometimes it takes longer than 24hrs to clear an impacted crop. But she may be having other issues if she's still not doing well.
Not laying eggs for this long, she may have cancer or some other reproductive issue, hard to know unless you lose her and have necropsy.

A basic check of lice/mites, de-worming, etc. can be done. The weight loss is a concern for sure.

Top Bottom