Ovarian Cancer Treatments?

Having lost several birds to various reproductive cancers, I would think that once they are symptomatic it's probably too late to save them, if it is indeed cancer. They are so good at hiding the early signs that it's usually pretty advanced by the time you realize there is a problem. I think the study linked is interesting, and may be way to reduce the incidence, not sure if it would actually cure, or prolong life in a bird that already had developed a cancer.
I've always been of the opinion that if something is not going to cause harm, or prolong suffering needlessly, then there is no reason not to try.
In the case of surgery, birds tend to not do well with the anesthesia, it's risky in itself. I personally would need to have a pretty good idea that doing surgery would result in a positive outcome, at least a fairly high percentage of probable success, before I would be willing to put them through it. I would not do it for a maybe. That's just me personally.

Thank you for the reply! Say I did have enough assets to go through with some kind of crazy procedure - do you know of any out there? I can't find anything besides spaying which just seems cruel. My family trades legal work for vetrinary work and so we're very lucky to have pretty much unlimited vetrinary care.
May I ask why you keep saying spaying is cruel? If it's something that will save her life and stop the pain, it's not cruel. Spaying mammals (dogs, cats, etc) can even prevent reproductive cancers. I don't see why it wouldn't help in this case.

Thank you for the reply! Say I did have enough assets to go through with some kind of crazy procedure - do you know of any out there? I can't find anything besides spaying which just seems cruel. My family trades legal work for vetrinary work and so we're very lucky to have pretty much unlimited vetrinary care.
The problem with reproductive tract cancer is that is usually spreads to the other organs. Have your vet contact Dr. Speer for a consultation.
http://www.medicalcenterforbirds.com/

May I ask why you keep saying spaying is cruel? If it's something that will save her life and stop the pain, it's not cruel. Spaying mammals (dogs, cats, etc) can even prevent reproductive cancers. I don't see why it wouldn't help in this case.
Birds are not mammals and their anatomy is different. Spaying can be done but it is a much more difficult procedure than on a cat or dog. Because of how they are built and where the ovaries actually are located, makes it much harder to get to. If someone really wants to do this I would find an avian vet that has experience doing the procedure.

Birds are not mammals and their anatomy is different. Spaying can be done but it is a much more difficult procedure than on a cat or dog. Because of how they are built and where the ovaries actually are located, makes it much harder to get to. If someone really wants to do this I would find an avian vet that has experience doing the procedure.
I know that, but I'm simply stating it could be an option for this person if they wanted too. They can't block out viable options just because they think it's cruel. That's for a professional (a avian vet) to decide.

Back
Top Bottom