Ovaview high intensity egg candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chump, Feb 16, 2011.

1. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Has anyone purchased ovaview egg candler and used it? I just ordered one and codnt find any reviews for it. Was wanting to know how good it was

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I would love to hear how you like it.

How dark are your eggs you will be candling?

3. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I just got one today and used to candle eggs approximately 10 days into incubating. It works fine, but I'm concerned that I only saw about 2 eggs out of 18 that looked like they had spider veins in them. I couldn't really see through the eggs with green shells. I need to see some pictures to figure out if they are good or bad.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

AllCoop'dUp :

I just got one today and used to candle eggs approximately 10 days into incubating. It works fine, but I'm concerned that I only saw about 2 eggs out of 18 that looked like they had spider veins in them. I couldn't really see through the eggs with green shells. I need to see some pictures to figure out if they are good or bad.

I also have some thick green shells - have troubles seeing anything other than dark/aircell when the chick gets big enough.​

5. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    It really can't see thru the green eggs? Kind of expensive not to
    Be able to see thru any egg. Expensive to me anyway. We don't have
    Green or blue eggs yet but we are goin to get some eventually. All we have rite now are
    White and lite brown

6. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    We have an Ovascope. I think it's the Ovaview with a hood over it. It's really great. We had 2 Marans eggs last incuabtion and though we could not see through the Marans eggs, we could tell that they were not developing because the inside was sloshy at day14. We cracked them open and sure enough there was no development. This time round we have some Marans eggs and EEs. Haven't candle yet. I promised myself I would not candle until Day 14. Last time I candled almost everyday. I'm hoping for a better hatch rate by not messing with them

7. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Yes...that's what I have...OvaScope...Yes...it was a bit spendy:eek:

Lark Rise...could you just tell by picking them up that they were sloshy?

I think I'm going to get a small scale to weigh the next batch. I need all the data I can get to determine if these things are gonna hatch!

8. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    AllCoop'dUp :

Yes...that's what I have...OvaScope...Yes...it was a bit spendy:eek:

Lark Rise...could you just tell by picking them up that they were sloshy?

I think I'm going to get a small scale to weigh the next batch. I need all the data I can get to determine if these things are gonna hatch!

I always picked them up so gingerly, I could not tell if they were sloshy by handling them, but I could definitely see it slosh around when turning in the Ovascope.​

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    AllCoop'dUp, what breed of chicken is in your avatar? I love the coloring!!

10. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    She's my Silver Grey Dorking! She's a sweetheart and I'm lucky enough to have a Roo to match. (he's in the background of the picture!) I want to get them in a pen together and get some eggs in the incubator from them. I started out with 4, but now just have the 2.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by