over 100 chickens AND ONE SINGLE EGG A DAY ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LMEggs, Feb 10, 2009.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    WHY !? they are on laying pellets have a clean house and clean water they have a ton of nests filled with straw and hay I go out there a bunch a times a day and they are normally dust bathing does this mean something ? they are on vitamins and have been wormed and dusted for mites so why am I only getting a single egg a day when I have around 100 chickens? they appear to be happy... My grandma says its because of my roosters but my roosters have not been doing anything ? In one house my hens have a few missing feathers on their backs (saddles ordered) from one of my roos but that doesnt explain the other hens my laying flock isnt in with a roo ? my roos arent aggressive or mean ? can keeping a roo in with hens really cause them to quit laying ? this all has been going on for a month now

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Welcome to winter. [​IMG]

They are probably on a winter break. You could try providing some light on a timer set to go off in the morning so they have about 14 hours of daylight. Don't add the additional light at night as they won't know to get on the perches before a certain time.

3. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    I forgot to say that they do have a light in there thats on during the day

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Do they produce heat to keep the coop between 35-75 degrees.

5. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    I've never seen froozen water in there I'd say it stays above 38 at all times and for the past four days its been up in the 60's and beautiful

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Their bodies need to rest during winter. It's a good thing. Soon there will be eggs.
    JJ

7. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Are you sure you dont have an egg eater?? Are all the nest boxes dry? Make sure there isnt any yolk in there!! [​IMG]

8. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    well I have suspected two in the laying flock house but I've never truely caught them in the act but I keep all my guys seperate ? I hope I don't have one in every house !?

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? What type/breed(s), [edit] just read your signature, NM on the breeds)) and how many eggs were you getting before? How many do you have in how much space? What times does your light come on and what time does it go off? Do they get outside part of the day?

We just need more info. [​IMG] I've rarely had NO eggs, usually there's always a group of em laying even in crummy weather and there's usually signs of egg eaters.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    House #1 and #2 are combined together and it houses my mixed breed layers and some of them are EE and one OEG (pure) and One dominquer (pure) most have some leghorn and a few wyandotte mixes and some little banties theres about 45 chickens and its two very large houses connected to each other with the middle door open so both houses run together the two houses combined are probably the size of a large living room and then both houses have large pens to the outside then house # three has about 15 hens in it and its the size of a bed room there is barred rocks and new hampshire reds and a barred rock roo in that house. and house # four houses Buff orpingtons and there is a Houdan hen running and a tiny banty mixed breed hen making 8 in this house again big huge house that could house alot more then 8 birds then theres a smaller house # 5 and it has tiny bantam cochins around 11 of them then in one coop I have a pair of Hamburgs and a coop that houses a pair of silkies and a house that has one single partridge bantam cochin and another coop has a pair of marans in it

the light comes on around 5 am and goes off around 7 pm I was getting around 3-4 dozen.

The mixed breed hens all but 5 of them are old and the 5 hens are 08 babies.

the barred rocks and NHR are 08 chicks and started laying early fall last year and was steady
    the buff orps are young june 08 hatch but was steady laying two eggs a day then just quit the marans is also 08 hatch and the cochins are laying age too but no eggs ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by