Over 100 geese dead in Idaho?!?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kkrista123, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
  2. Doc7

Doc7 Songster

May 12, 2018
    Central Virginia
    a disease wouldn’t cause an instantaneous simultaneous drop of all these animals, if there was even a slight difference in their times of death they would be spread over miles.

Crazy!

Chick-N-Fun, EggWalrus and Rondack like this.
  3. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    very interesting! Thanks for the input!

drumstick diva and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Says some had their stomachs blown open must have been lightening? Look like Snow Geese. So sad. I remember a few years ago something about thousands of Snow geese dying from the bird flu and they were all in the same vicinity. :(

5. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    It is so sad and pretty disturbing to see. I can only imagine how disturbing it would have been to have been there! I've always been into science and the whole lightning causing the stomachs to explode is just blowing my mind. Usually birds shelter from a thunder storm. This one time NONE of the geese happened to be sheltered?! It's weird because it was just the geese. They didn't have mass birds falling out of the sky, just the geese. :confused: I am just mind blown by these phenomenon's.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Maybe it came up so suddenly they just didn’t have time to shelter plus I read lightening can strike as far as 10 miles so maybe the actual storm wasn’t even over them. I wish they had given more info

7. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    I have to ask if you've ever been hit by lightening? Have you seen what lightning will do to large trees? Might not have been one lightening bolt could have been several in the same close area.

8. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Sad...it wouldn’t take much to kill a bird (voltage). When we get lightning strikes here it shakes the ground and roars down our canyon...it’s deafening! Scary! And it might be raining miles away. We get lightning and thunder before any rain sometimes without rain.
    I guess the blessing is that they went quickly and didn’t know what hit them. Sad

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    To me, the article said the birds were uninjured YET, some had their stomachs blown open. Duh! Horrible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: