Over 24 hours since interal pip

aaustin93

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Hello! I have three embden-African goose eggs. One internally pipped yesterday morning, but this morning there still is no external pip): the mama goose had to be put to sleep, an this is my first time hatching goose eggs. I'm clueless! Should I make an opening for him or not? He's still peeping and pecking.

My friend just asked if he's facing the wrong way... How can I tell if he is or not? It looks like hes facing upward I guess

Also I candled it to make sure he was still at it, and there's a red spot on the shell that you can see when I candle it. Can anyone tell me what that is?

Hi - firstly dont panic as can take some time to externally pip, how long has it been now since internal pipping? Why did your friend think it was upside down? Whats your temperature and humidity?

I see you've sent a Private Message but I'll try to help you on this thread if you dont mind.

Pete
wink.png

Hi -you dont seem to be online so I can help you so I'll make some assumptions to try and help.

The best advice is already in our Incubation Guide and here's the link to it below. It includes an explanation for how to put a safety air hole into the egg if it fails to externally pip. The red spot maybe a tiny bleed (dont panic as its never caused a chick to die with our eggs) where the gosling has caught a minor vessel in the air cell membrane whilst trying to break through into the air cell. Why would a friend think its upside down - candle the egg and see if you can see the outline of the beak in the air cell. Also hold the air cell end to your ear - if you can hear it making a clicking noise then its breathing and must have its beak at the correct end.

Good luck - Pete
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

ThAnk you so much for responding. It had been well over 24 hours, so I did I safety hole like it said on your guide. I can hear him clicking and I can see the egg move occasionally, so I'm assuming hea doing ok. Hes also still peeping. Especially when I talk to him. The temperature is maybe a little over 100 and the humidity is at 80... I'm having trouble getting it any higher.

Back
Top Bottom