1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Over 30 days and she's still broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Organizedmom, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Organizedmom

Organizedmom New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    U.P. Michigan
    Ok, I will admit that I let her sit on the nest for to long (about a week and a half). I was not prepared, and didn't have a set up to correct sitting on the nest. I never left eggs in the nest for her to sit on, but she didn't care she still sat. I have now riged up a set up with the wire dog kennel but she still just lays around in it. She won't walk around in it. She will eat and drink but only i set them close to her. I take her outside at least every other day so she can poo (it is definatly broody poo!). If it is relativily nice out (live in Upper Penisula of Michigan) I will let her free range with the other chickens but she will eventually end up in the nests. Then I take her out and put her in the kennel in the house (on my dining room table [​IMG]). She has plucked out most of her breast feathers. I have tried putting an ice pack under her, the first few days with a towel over it so it wasn't so cold, and then I tried it without the towel. She still nestled right down on it. After about 20 minutes, her tail feathers were shaking like she was cold so I took it out. I don't want to have to cull her, and don't want her to cull herself. Has anyone heard or seen such a thing. Will she get over it in time? How long? Or should I buy some furtile eggs and let her hatch them, but she has already lost about half her weight, will she survive another 20 plus days nesting? She also clicks her beak together alot, I don't notice this with the other girls, is this normal? She is also not mean, she makes sounds that sound like a drip coffee maker when it is done. My husband has not drank coffee for years, but with all her noises he is beginning to crave it [​IMG], and he keeps asking when the coffee will be done? I don't know what to tell him[​IMG]. I have attached a picture so that you can see her kennel home.
    [​IMG]

2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    [​IMG]
    Is that a light brahma? I heard that brahmas are prone to going broody. How old is she?? I had a crazy broody GLW who went broody from Jan-April, a full 3 months!! I didn't go to the extremes of crating her like you did. She finally broke on her own. She never sat on any eggs either. Good luck w/ your girl!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. Organizedmom

Organizedmom New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    U.P. Michigan
    Yes, she is a light Brahm. She is about 8 1/2 months old. If I put her back in the coop she will lay on the other hens eggs, and I also have a plastic easter egg in each nest to remind them where they are suppose to lay, since they are free range (when the weather is nice). Three months huh--well spring can't get here soon enough!!!! I also had a golden Wyandott go broody, but she broke in 2 days.

I love the O.C.D.--Obsessive Chicken Disorder[​IMG] I have that too, it must be catching.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Good luck with your girl, sounds like you're gonna have a house chicken for a little while.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by