Over 30 weeks and no eggs

JessicaAndHerChickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
I am beginning to wonder if I got some dud chicks back in MARCH or if I ruined them somehow!!! They are over 30 weeks and no eggs in sight. They have been on laying pellets for over a month now. I am making sure they are getting water and food each day. I let them free range during the day and have even kept them in the coop for a few days at a time to see if they were laying when they were out, but nope, no eggs. I have no clue what else to do. Their coop is clean. They have nesting boxes. I am thinking I ruined them. There was a time back in the summer where I thought they were getting enough water and here the darn thing was running out due to uneven floor so they werent getting enough. I thought they were just 'so thirsty' so I would get them water twice a day not knowing that the water would run out if the chickens pushed it a certain way. Did I damage my chickens development? They get plenty of food and water now and have been for a few months now. Man o man, if these dont start giving me eggs soon, DH might make me get rid of them! Any suggestions???

What about light in the coop? The days are definately getting shorter... Also, Are you SURE there are no hidden nests somewhere???

Also, what kind of chickens do you have?

Last edited:
How many chickens are there?? If it's just a few literally, maybe they are just plopping them out on the floor of the coop and they're getting broken, or just out in the yard. Have you kept them penned in a run to be sure they're NOT laying in the yard somewhere?? Or in the coop??

To answer some questions. I have 2 RIR and 2 NHR. They were hatched about the third week in March. They have a little pen that is attached to the coop they they go in but it is small so I usually let them free range. The coop is just the perfect size for the 4 of them so there arent any hiding places. I have thought about them getting broken on the floor, but all I see is their poop that I scoop out every so often and their isnt any shell pieces in it. I thought maybe there were laying outside somewhere so I kept them in their coop/pen for a weekend and nope, no eggs. I thought maybe they were eating them, but I see no evidence that there were even any eggs to begin with. I am at a loss.

Oh No! you broke your chickens
lol.png

All kidding aside. I'm sure they are just fine. As others have mentioned this is a tough time of year for layers. It's the traditional molting time and there is less natural light. Last year I had the same thing happen. My pullets didn't start laying till the second week of December about 33-35 weeks old. I do supply extra light in the coop.

Imp

I am in the same boat as you. 32 weeks and no eggs from my Australorp and Cochin Bantam. My Cauyga duck started to lay not too long ago, so I know its not the food or conditions. These darn birds eat better then I do. They free range daily, no hidden nests, lots of greens, healthy pellets, oyster shells, anything and everything a chicken could want.

I think I just have some lazy girls!
barnie.gif
Where is the grill....
he.gif

Whew! I was really starting to worry! I hope they start laying soon...getting tired of buying store bought eggs. I am going to dig out the light I had for them when they were younger and put it in the coop and set a timer so that it will give them enough light during the day. Thanks for all the responses...it has put me at ease about not 'breaking' my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom