Over 6ft tall tomato plants

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by CherryChick, Jul 13, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I just had one of our maintance guys at the school show me the school greenhouse and what he planted in there this March.
    He had 6ft tall tomatoes! It was crazy like a forrest in there of tomatoes.
    I was curious if anyone knew what kind of tomato plant did that. If it is a certian one or do all tomato plants get that tall?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Hes using miracle grow.We used it 3 years ago.We had 10ft tall tomato plants..bout 40 or so.Nice and green..hardly a fruit therin.

this year they are only 5ft high,but picking every week. using duck pond water.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had that happen many times, with indeterminate varieties. I usually top them so they won't get too tall.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I think if you use a fertilizer high in nitrogen you get massive green growth, but very little flowering and fruit production. I've heard of people using nitrogen rich fertilizers and bragging about their tomato plants, but they hardly get any fruit.

5. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tips everyone.
    What ever fertilizer this guy is using works great! Very Tall plants and lots of fruit on them.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes, they were indeterminate type. We planted some this year like that and they are really huge and scraggly looking, but the tomatoes are great.

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I know a lady who plant her tomato plant right where her A/C unit drips, and they are above the roof, and she gets lots of fruit.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mine are 6' now and I'm not using Miracle Grow (unless you count the chicken deposits left on the garden over the winter). No matter what variety I grown, they typically grow to 7-8' tall, both hybrids and heirloom varieties. I'm considering cutting them back this year to keep them under control.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, I can't say I've ever had a tomato plant that was taller than me! When ours start getting tall they start to look lanky so we usually cut them back, but at that point they are usually 3-4 feet tall. How would you support a 7 ft tall tomato plant?

10. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I've got mine on a trellis Chickerdoodle. I tie them with catfish line. It works great and should keep the chickens off the fruit towards the top. I'm doing the same thing with my melons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by