Over a week old now. Any better ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kisat, May 7, 2008.

1. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    So, here are some new photos of the babies. I know for sure that they are Bantams now at least [​IMG] Saw the receipt. The store says the way they ordered was Misc Bantams so that is why they had no idea what they were. Hmm.

They've started to develop a brown ring around their beaks. Try to get some good shots and the two others my mom brought home - New Hampshire pullets - enjoy hogging the camera when I try and take shots of any of them so it was difficult. Also tried, just now, to get shots of their tails. They seem to be growing tall and long, fast. Every day they are lots longer than the day before.

Another clerk from the store - when I was calling to see when the Hampshires were born, told me she thought them to be OEGBantams. I looked them up, the personality, all of it and I'm starting to lean towards that. They say that the OEG's are noisy, active, love to fly, can be aggressive (this is all subjective mind you), and are all around very active little guys. I also saw that their tails are quite long in the full grown shots.

So I don't know, but I thought I'd post some new photos to see if they are resembling anything else better.

[​IMG]

Fell asleep [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, they way that shot looks is how it is. Their tails not only are getting long quick, but are coming straight up, not at an angle

[​IMG]

You can kinda see both the beak and tail in this shot. And yes, behind it is a bird toy. I borrowed one of my parakeet toys that has a bell and little round things they can turn and pick at. They enjoy ringing the bell sometimes [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the cute little comb [​IMG] This is the other baby. It's brown isn't as developed and dark, but it's there.

So any better ideas on what they are? [​IMG] Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the help. You all are so helpful [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    What color are their legs?

3. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    They are looking a yellow-tan color on one. The other a pinkish-tan. I really can't tell correctly. They keep changing color. Weird, but even in photos it don't show up correctly. It used to be one had pinisk white for sure and the other yellow when I first got them, but now they seem almost to be turning a bit tan on both too.

Sorry, best I can say. As far as I can tell most chicken legs are the same as they are born with, but these guys seems to be changing.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Yellowish legs might be a Welsummer.

5. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm confused when people say that though. I've read that they have five toes. Is that always true?

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    They look like my brown leghorn at that age - [​IMG]

7. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    How long is its tail?

That pic looks just like them, but I notice that its tail is pretty short still. Even the one that isn't developing as quick (though they both are developing pretty quick! it's astonishing how much they change each day!), its tail is longer than yours looks. Maybe it's just that mine are developing quicker? As my photo shows, the tail is pointed straight up in the little guys. You can't really tell in those photos below though, but the tails make a complete upside down V. Though, I see that your photo shows the little brown across its beaks like mine do.

BTW - Cute [​IMG]

8. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    He took for ever to get all is feathers, but he had a really big comb at three weeks old. I heard that he feather out quicker but roosters get there combs quicker.

1-2 weeks old -

[​IMG]

About 1-2 weeks later -

[​IMG]

Here he is now a 2 months old -

[​IMG]

9. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    could be bbr oegb, their are tons of colors in oegb.

10. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Chickenboy8

Quite the little handsome man he turned out to be [​IMG] He's gorgeous!

king2

Yeh, that is why I am leaning to the OEGB so much is because they do come in so many colors, but the fact that their tails are growing so fast and so tall is what is making me think that's what they are. They just hold themselves different then the NHR I have. Those pullets only just turned 7 days and only just now have a little bit of a tail starting. The Bantams are about 9 days old and their tails are long for babies.

Like these ...

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/GameBantams/BRKOEGBantams2.html

If someone has baby OEG's no matter what color, I would really appreciate seeing those pics. I keep searching the internet, but there are only baby chicks, or older pics I find. I can't find the month old looks. I'd love to see some pics of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by